Original Dano Bars
1.) Process until the texture of coarse sand: 2 cups raw cashews and 1 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut.2.) Add 2 cups pitted dates, and process until well-blended with the cashew/coconut mixture.
3.) Add 1/4-1/2 cup melted coconut oil., and process until mixture is wet.
4.) Dump mixture into a 9x13 pan, press into pan and freeze for 10-15min.
5.) Cut into bars and enjoy, or re-freeze bars for later in an air-tight bag. You can also shape the bars into balls, and re-freeze.
When I am not able to keep the bars cold, I shape them into balls, as they keep their shape much better. My food processor holds 14 cups, so if yours is smaller, adjust the proportions to fit your machine.
- Zest and juice a whole lemon, lime or orange into the mixture when you add the coconut oil.
- Add 1/4 cup of nut butter with the coconut oil.
- Add 1/4 cup of unsweetened cocoa to the cashews and coconut.
- Add chocolate chips or carob chips before adding the dates.
- Melt chocolate and drizzle onto the bars before freezing.
- Add 1 cup of another type of nuts in place of 1 cup of the cashews.
- Stir in 1/2 cup pumpkin or sunflower seeds just before dumping into the pan.
- Add a few tbsp. of honey with the coconut oil.
- Add a few drops of stevia with the coconut oil.
- Add 3/4 cup pumpkin puree, 2tbsp. of pumpkin pie spices, and a little honey or molasses.
- Add 1tbsp. or more ground ginger and 2tbsp. molasses.
- Stir in small bits of dried fruit before dumping into the pan, or process larger dried fruits after the dates.
Enjoy and let me know what other creative ideas you dream up!